Start of Term (Hogwarts)

The Harry Potter books focused on the lives of Hogwarts students, but this story centers around the teachers and staff members who are in charge of educating and protecting these magical children. Set in approximately the Cursed Child time period, it follows the stories of the guardians and caretakers who keep Hogwarts safe. With great power comes great responsibility... and lots of magical headaches.
Monkey Kitty
Steward

Re: Start of Term (Hogwarts)

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Draco Malfoy

"Oh, I didn't mean to imply anything derogatory about Eve," Draco said hastily. "She was better than the rest of us, and she's more than paid her dues. Money and connections were what talked when punishments were handed out, and unfortunately for her, Eve had neither. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that Auror Barclay doesn't see that - it calls some of the foundations of an Auror's beliefs into question, after all."

He nodded when Rosemary made her request, and gave her a small bow. "Of course," he said. "I will do what I do best - use my leverage. I think you will find it useful. I'll speak to Granger and Potter, and anyone in the Ministry whose ear I can bend. Fear not, Professor Bain. We'll be able to help Professor Travers. I'm sure of it."
Quaxo9
Secundae

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

They'd said their farewells, with an additional confirmation that Scorpius really was doing well in his classes, and Draco had left to attend to his business. Really, Rosemary was surprised he'd given them so much time as it was - but incredibly pleased that he was clearly interested in the welfare of his boy as well as willing to stick his neck out for Eve. That little talk had gone better than she'd hoped, and she felt light again for the first time since she'd met Barclay in the hallway. The familiar swishing of her robes as she walked wasn't the only outward sign of her change of mood.

"Well, I'm glad we can give Eve some good news. Hopefully we'll have better news soon enough." She paused, then gave Cambria a discerning look. "How are you holding up? I know Eve means a lot to you - so in a way, you're, well I guess we're - sharing her stress. Is there anything you need?"
Monkey Kitty
Steward

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Cambria Morehouse

Cambria blushed a little at the scrutiny, and looked down. Yes, Rosemary was reading the situation right - in fact, Cambria wondered exactly how much her fellow professor had grasped.

"Yes," she said carefully. "Eve... does mean a great deal to me. I know she does to you as well. It will be a relief to all of us when she can finally rest easy."

The question of whether she needed anything was a difficult one. Did she? Cambria herself wasn't sure. Digging too deeply into that would involve admitting feelings - and she wasn't sure how that would be received.

"Eve is... a special person. Very special. I..."

Cambria blushed again, and her hair fell across her face. She stopped speaking abruptly, just short of giving voice to her true thoughts.
Quaxo9
Secundae

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

Ah. 'Special' special. Rosemary glanced down at her friend before lightly taking her by the shoulder to steer her toward someplace a little more private. It wouldn't do to have some young students overhearing their conversation and making things awkward before Cambria got herself sorted out. Once a little further down the garden path, Rosemary changed her arm's position to give a one-armed supportive hug.

"I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner. Have you...no, I think you're just to the point where you might admit it to yourself, right? If I might offer some completely unsolicited advice - you shouldn't just sit on this. Speaking up about how you feel sooner rather than later is always for the best. I mean, I suppose I'm just assuming..."

It had been a guess, though she felt a rather good one, but it didn't seem fair to be the first one to say it out loud.
Monkey Kitty
Steward

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Cambria Morehouse

Cambria leaned into the hug. She was both more relieved and more scared at the same time. Rosemary wasn't wrong. But talking about it - putting it out into the world - made it seem more real. Like something actual, not a passing fancy.

"I can't," she said. "Tell Eve. I don't want to make things awkward. I don't want to ruin our friendship. She probably wouldn't be interested, anyway. She had a husband. They had a baby. I don't think I'm her type."

Of course, how much of a type Eve had wasn't clear. She'd been married once, when she was seventeen, and then spent most of her adult life in Azkaban. The evidence was inconclusive.

"Besides, you know about my... problem. If anyone can find a cure for me, Eve can, but if it's not possible, I'll end up as a beast for eternity. We know that. Eve knows that. It just... this can't happen, can it?"

Cambria truly wasn't sure if she wanted Rosemary to agree or contradict her.
Quaxo9
Secundae

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

It was easy enough to consider that maybe she was in over her head with this conversation. After all, she'd had no meaningful relationships of her own (or at least no successful ones) and as she'd all but sworn off any future relationships, who was she to give advice? It would have been easy enough to say what Cambria wanted to hear.

But some things just didn't fall within the boundaries she tried to set up.

"I don't know about admitting feelings for someone ruining a friendship, but I do know that not being truthful will. I think if you try to keep your feelings to yourself that they'll come out on their own eventually. Personally, I'd rather be in charge of when that truth comes out."

She sighed and smiled in spite of Cambria's protests. "It sounds like the first person who needs to hear the truth is you, though. And honestly? If anyone deserves to be happy - it's someone who currently has a time limit."