False Flags (WWII setting)

The war between Vampires and Lycans has ended, but an even deadlier threat has risen: Humanity. The world of immortals is a secret no longer, and terrified humans seek to exterminate the source of their fear. Vampires, Lycans, and other immortal species now hide themselves, struggle to survive, and fight back. Their future and their very existence are at stake.
Monkey Kitty
Steward

Re: False Flags (WWII setting)

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Sara and Hirsch Fishblatt

"Gilda has a substantial library," Sara said with a smile. It pleased her that her son's girlfriend liked to read. "I'm sure she'd be happy for you to browse her collection. Yes, we like poetry. It rather has a way of speaking to the soul, doesn't it?"

"We've always been readers," Hirsch offered. "And we encouraged our children to..."

He stopped, worried that he had made the conversation awkward by inadvertently bringing up their lost family members. It was a rather hard subject to avoid, though. They'd had three children - suddenly, they only had one. Most conversations about the past would highlight this discrepancy.

"Isaac likes to read, too," Sara said, stepping in to cover the pause. "He always has. We weren't surprised at all when he told us he was going to be a librarian. It's the perfect job for him. Was the perfect job."

Again, they had stumbled into The Before. Sara gave Berta an apologetic smile.
Quaxo9
Sigil Bearer

Post by Quaxo9 »

Berta Einsbrect

Her heart broke for theirs. Such loss she shouldn't imagine. Berta took Frau Fishblatt's hand once more and took a few moments to respond.

"You know, just because he doesn't work in a library right now doesn't mean that he isn't a librarian."

And now for the part she wasn't sure about saying. Were the Fishblatts so overcome with grief that they didn't want to talk about their children? Or were they just...trying to spare her from talking about sad things?

"And I am sure your children appreciated your care in their education. Again, I am so sorry for your loss. And I hope that one day, maybe the memories of them won't only bring you sadness."

It was something that someone had said to her, once, following her parents' funerals. Perhaps...perhaps the Fishblatts needed to know they weren't alone. That it was okay to reminisce.

"Our parents passed away several years ago now. It is still hard to think about the time past, but I find now my mind goes to the happy times we spent together instead of the last month we spent together. I know it's not the same. And I know it can't be the same losing a child as it is to lose a parent, but I pray that you will be blessed with healed hearts."
Monkey Kitty
Steward

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Hirsch and Sara Fishblatt

"Thank you, dear," Sara said. "Your words are very kind. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your own parents. That is difficult - no matter the circumstances."

Hirsch nodded. He had teared up a bit, and he needed to collect himself a bit before he could do more than nod.

"I think it helps to share the memories," Sara said. "It keeps them alive for us, in a way."

"What were your parents like?" Hirsch asked. "I'm sure you have beautiful memories of them, too."
Quaxo9
Sigil Bearer

Post by Quaxo9 »

Berta Einsbrect

It was when Herr Fishblatt asked his question that she realized it had been a very long time since she'd spoken to anyone about her parents. At home, no one wanted to talk about sad things. Gerhard was rarely around and he didn't often talk about the past in his letters, either.

"Keeping them alive by sharing memories...that sounds lovely." Her words were a bit breathy, but the gained in strength as she chose a story to tell.

"There used to be a lot of dances in my village. Everyone would show up from miles around - our neighbour's barn would be swept clean, and the musicians would play in the loft so that the whole floor could be for the dancers. They often went very late so I wasn't allowed to go until I was older. The first time I went, I sat outside the big doors and just watched everyone. Until I saw my parents. I didn't know that they could dance - and dance so beautifully. When I saw them, it was like there was no one else in the world but the two of them. That is how I will always remember them - very much in love, even though they'd been together for a long time and faced so many tragedies...they were still in love."

While the Fishblatts may have wondered how long Berta had been in a chair, the story may have given them some indication that this physical impediment was not something new. Though perhaps they'd guessed it by the way the girl hardly seemed to notice that she had wheels for feet as her gaze drifted off to another time and another place, her body swaying to silent music. Presently, she came to herself and blushed lightly.

"What about you? Where did you live? Was there dancing in your hometown? Music?"
Monkey Kitty
Steward

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Hirsch and Sara Fishblatt

"Oh, yes!" Sara replied enthusiastically. "We lived in Hamburg. There was always music in our neighborhood. Hirsch plays the violin, and I sing a little - but not like Isaac. You should ask him to sing for you sometime. He has a lovely voice."

"Our children used to put on little plays," Hirsch said with a smile. "The three of them would put so much work into their productions. They could be quite... whimsical. But always entertaining."

This was a happy memory, and there was pleasant nostalgia in the voices of the Fishblatts as they spoke of those times. It made their lost family seem almost present again, the echo of their voices still raised in merriment. It was good to be able to talk about the good times again, after so much pain and loss.